Tuesday, June 11, 2013

FraU 2013 Apr issue

Transcript and info provided by @ma2wish and @lhi90
Based on Korean translation by @BoAtheKOREA 


Special Interview
BoA

「Beauty of living in the present moment」

"Living as an artist, my life "


She said that becoming an adult is “Something that made me accept reality”. As she learned Japanese way before the Hallyu boom began in Japan, singing in Japanese, she opened the doors for female artists. The song that BoA released after about 2.5 years is a love song that tugs firmly at your heart with lyrics that females of all ages can identify with and a melody filled with sadness. With that, the transition from a teen girl to a matured female can be felt again.

“I’m aware that living as an artist is my life, and has been since my mid-teens. Once you become a celebrity, you’ll be seen as your celebrity image for a lifetime isn’t it? Even if you return as a normal person, the world won’t see you in the same light. So rather than accepting that as it is, I think it that by growing oneself you can live an even better life, whether as a person or an artist.”

I decided to walk this path during my mid-teens. Although the strength of that will was exceptional, she muttered “However, won’t everyone have the thought of wanting to grow as a person?”.

“Although it is a world where waves of good times and bad times are especially rough, to accept the waves as they are, that’s what I think”

“The entertainment world is an industry with extreme waves of times when you are popular and times when you are not as popular. But, I think since this is inevitable, I shall accept and go with the flow! (laugh). There are times when I don’t do as well, during times when I do well I also wonder how am I going to progress to the next peak.. because this is also part of the job. During times when I feel depressed, I think something must have gone wrong after all right? So, it might be possible to grow again after getting rid of the root cause.”

As a 26-year-old, even though you can feel her character as a star, it’s only extremely recently that her thoughts can be expressed clearly in words. During her mid-teens, there was no time to for self-reflection, anyhow she was devoted such that she lost herself. As she came to her mid-twenties, although unpleasant events occurred while she was in the US, she came to accept that “there are times like this” and the reality at that point in time.

“Rather than being an artist who was going to debut in the US, the fact that I was able to have a normal life as a person in the US was greater. Only it was quite a big deal having to studying English in my twenties. I was still in my teens when I learned Japanese, so although my mistakes were overlooked as being “cute”, people won’t pamper me that way anymore in my twenties.”

Through improving language proficiency, the chances of meeting a good creator would be higher. The couple Nappytabs were asked to choreograph the new single “Only One”, by which they met through the Hollywood movie “COBU 3D” starring BoA.

“This time I wanted to create a type of song which can be listened to soothly. But in order to maintain the image that everyone has of me, I wanted to present a cool dance.”

In order to introduce the motivation she received in the US in her Asian activities, be it in Korea or Japan, she continued presenting cutting edge performances. Even so, where does the ambition for always presenting the best come from?

“After tasting the feeling of an intense sense of achievement once, I feel like experiencing it again. Like an addiction (laughs) I hope that fans who come to see my live performances continue to have the feeling "I want to see you again". In order not to betray the faith of those people, I feel a responsibility to release music and create good stages. In order to do that, I am willing do everything. But, I wouldn’t recommend this kind of thinking or life to others. Because I feel I think like that only due to the fact that I’m doing this kind of job where I have to present myself to others.”

“The skin and hair that I possess,
To be healthy and filled with vitality,
Isn’t that the ideal?”

When talking about topics related to her job, although she has a professional’s look, it feels like a private conversation where you can see her 26-year-old real self. Known to be a person who loves dramas, originating from Korean fans, she was given the nickname "dried fish woman" after a Japanese manga character .

“I asked around what that term meant and after I heard it meant "a female who is super workaholic when outdoors, and watches drama alone when she is home", I thought "Ah, maybe!" (laughs).”

However, that doesn't mean that she is unkempt at home. From her face to her hair, to dirty dishes, she really enjoys washing up, so no matter how tired she is, she will definitely remove her makeup, shampoo and then go to bed. 

“If I go to bed with dust on my hair that day, I heard that it is not good for your skin if the dust remains on your pillow. So if I slept without washing my hair, I'll change my covers the next day. With regards to beauty care, rather than doing anything extra, I want to become pretty even without doing anything. To have skin and hair that is healthy and filled with vitality, isn’t that the ideal?(/trans note: she means a natural and healthy image)”

She doesn’t do anything special besides being persistent about dusting (i.e., sanitary habits), and getting sufficient sleep and keeping moisturised. She feels fortunate during her daily routine “When my day starts later than usual”...“I can consume alcohol the day before. When I drink with staff that I work with, various ideas pop up, that’s why I enjoy drinking with people whom I can talk about creative stuff with. But since I don’t like gossiping or talking behind people’s backs, I don’t frequent places like female gatherings,”

It is uncommon that a female is so career-minded (i.e., workaholic). But, there was no showiness as compared to that confidence, only a person walking quickly on the path she chose.

“I think there’s probably a 100-year-old grandfather living inside me”

She said it like that and let out a small laughter “huhut”.
A cuteness befitting of her age.

~End of interview~



FRaU editor also wrote a small excerpt about BoA in the blog (http://blog.frau-web.net/editor/?p=9143)
——You hold the power to continue to living for yourself,
To be responsible for yourself——Kawakami Mieko (川上未映子)

This phrase, was also felt during the long interview with BoA who released a new song after two and a half years.



English trans cr therlynn
Please take out with FULL and PROPER credits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment